Monday, October 1, 2012

National Domestic Violence Awareness Month Continued








 For Anonymous and Confidential Help 24/7:
1.800.799.SAFE (7233) or 1.800.787.3224 (TTY)

or visit www.ncadv.org 
   
For safety tips on internet safety, http://www.ncadv.org/protectyourself/InternetSafety.php


I have invited you to like a Facebook page I created http://www.facebook.com/DomesticVIolenceAffectsEvery1very simply because I wish to raise awareness about domestic violence aka intimate partner violence. 



You may (or not) know I was once a victim of domestic violence and that my abuser was a man I was married to and had children with. I spent many years alone and suffering because I did not know I was victim as I was never hit. At least this is one myth that was dispelled as there are many other forms of abuse which the page will highlight. (In the meantime in the upper left hand corner, is the Power and Control Wheel.)However, I was abused in other ways: emotionally, sexually, psychologically, and financially. Though over time, I began to share how I was feeling with others. These women some who never divulged directly if they had walked in my shoes, let me know in other ways I was not alone. They directed me to places where I could and did get help. They say leaving is both the hardest and most dangerous time for a victim, as this will only give more power to the abuser. Through writing, taking college level courses on the law, the support groups, victim advocate agencies, the judges and courts, I was able to get out--alive. I can't say it was smooth sailing after doing so, because it wasn't. In fact, it was much harder. I was now raising my son by myself who had been diagnosed with emotional and behavioral problems on top of his developmental delays. I myself was given diagnoses of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and Depression. There are times something will trigger a flashback, but I have found ways to deal with them.

Domestic violence does not discriminate. Not only does it affect everyone, it can happen to any1, anywhere @anytime.(TM) I want to let others they are not alone and do not need to feel as if they are. I acknowledge I did before I raised my voice. Through the exchange of shared information and resources are also opportunities to share their experiences of living in and surviving domestic violence and hopefully one day thriving. As for myself, I am in the thriving stage. I have since reclaimed my life and have been pursuing my ambitions of completing an undergraduate degree as I like to say to legitimatize my life experiences. I do not regret any of them as they opened my eyes, heart and ears to others plights who do not know no where to turn. Until now.

PS. Would you consider changing your profile pic to a purple ribbon and/or posting this message as your status update for some or all of October as it is National Domestic Violence Awareness Month.  
For Anonymous and Confidential Help 24/7:1.800.799.SAFE (7233) or 1.800.787.3224 (TTY)or visit www.ncadv.org

 Peace, 

 Suzanne aka MzMariposa de Canarsie --

                             
                        "Strength does not lie in what you have. It lies in what you can give."
                                                                                                          -Yogi Tea Wisdom

         ~~~~~~~~~~ •• ƸӜƷ •• ƸӜƷ•• ƸӜƷ •• ƸӜƷ •• ƸӜƷ•• ƸӜƷ•• ƸӜƷ•• ~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment