Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Domestic Violence Awareness Month Day 2

As I shared in yesterday's post, I was a victim of and survived domestic violence. I am now thriving. The journey of arriving to this point has been far from easy, but my will and determination got me here.

Help is available

I can outline the stops I made along the way, but the truth is what worked for me may not work for you. However I encourage to find the strength within yourself to make the call or walk into an agency to a place that provides assistance to people affected with domestic violence. For nationwide services you can call the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence 800-799-7233 800-799-or 1.800.787.3224 TTY visit S.A.F.E. (http://www.safe4all.org/help/)for referrals in your area.

How I began.

I started by sharing what was happening at home with a very supportive supervisor at work who referred me to the company's EAP. D. confirmed I was indeed being victimized and pointed me to outside resources. Fortunately the state lived in at the time and the FMLA ( http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/domestic-violence-leave-taking-time-30129.html) protected my job as I took time off of work to go to court and tend to appointments.

On a mission

Once I started, I did not stop..I had both my son and I lives to save. Like most wars or conflicts, my battle was long. It did not end until almost three years later. During that time, there were court dates, numerous counseling sessions and support groups to attend, even court ordered supervised visitation for me to see my son who I lost custody of for awhile. I also enrolled in a paralegal program to learn the laws and how to apply them to both my cases that were in criminal and family court. I also joined VOW. (www.wowbwrc.org) These activities kept me busy and put me on the path I knew one day would have greater meaning not just for myself but others too.

What's your story?  Tell me here by leaving a comment or like my Facebook page. http://www.facebook.com/DomesticVIolenceAffectsEvery1

I believe our experiences are meant to be shared to heal and empower ourselves as we help others.

No comments:

Post a Comment